EISODIA TIS THEOTOKOU
It is the largest and one of the most important churches of the island. It dates from the 17th century. It has a remarkable chancel screen with sculpted figures of saints, which intertwine with floral decorations. The icon of Hodegetria (dating from 1661), the icon of Archangel Michael (1820) and the marble icon of Virgin Mary, dating from 1710 and embedded above the main entrance, stand out. It is celebrated with a feast on November 21 (Presentation of the Virgin Mary) and August 15 (Assumption of the Virgin Mary). On Assumption eve, according to custom, an Epitaphios is being adorned, there is a procession and then people sing the praises of the Virgin Mary on their way to Theotokaki..
It rises at the centre of the castle and was built as a basilica with a dome. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1956 and rebuilt thanks to the efforts of the late Liza Marinou – President of the Association of Pyrgos Residents in Thera – and the parishioners. The church remained closed until 1997. Then, thanks to the joint efforts by the Community of Pyrgos Kallistis, the Community Council, the Second Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities and the Holy Metropolis of Thera, it was inaugurated as an ecclesiastical museum (see relevant section).
It is located at the northern part of the castle and is considered to be one of the oldest churches on the island (14th century). I was renovated in 1663 and its chancel screen is of remarkable art. According to custom, under the icon of the Virgin Mary to the right of the sanctum, in a locked glove compartment, the icon of the Virgin Mary used at the Epitaph is left to rest after the Assumption on August 15. The original icon was stolen in 1983. The church belongs to the rare type of small, square churches with a cupola. It is celebrated on August 15, while there is a feast during the Novena of the Virgin Mary.
A pointed, vaulted basilica, to the east of the castle, built in 1805. It was used by the Catholics during the Turkish occupation, as they were not allowed to build their own churches. It is celebrated on October 23.
AGHIOS IOANNIS THEOLOGOS
You will see this church to the left, after the castle’s gate. It dates form 1600. It was renovated in 1790 and is a glebe of Patmou monastery. It is celebrated on September 26.
Built in 1680, this vaulted basilica had many processed marbles which were probably used later to decorate the roofs of the castle. It was repaired in 2002 at the expense of Prophitis Ilias monastery, to which it is a glebe.Source: Oi ekklisies tou xoriou mas (The churches of our village), Kallisti Editions.