CHRISTOS (METAMORFOSI TOU SOTIROS)
Its bell tower stands out from a distance and the church rises imposingly at the centre of the village. It is a three-ailed basilica, with an octagonal cupola internally and externally, the only one on the island, which is why it presents a considerable architectural interest. Renovated in 1953, it is celebrated on August 6.
It is a basilica with a dome and one of the five parishes of Pyrgos. It is located outside the entrance of the castle. It was founded in 1660 by Bishop Parthenios Gavalas of Thera and repaired in 1980. It is celebrated on December 6.
It is located outside the entrance of the castle, to the west of the Tsividis family neoclassical mansion, and is the patron of the walls. It was built in 1639, renovated in 1857 and devastated by an earthquake in 1956. The contemporary church was built at its place in 1965. It is celebrated on May 29. The memory of Aghios Philippos, Aghii Gerasimos and Artemios and Aghios Efstathios is also celebrated here on November 14, October 20 and September 20 respectively.
A vaulted, single-aisled basilica with an episcopal throne of a simple form, located at the small square of Estia. Its chancel screen is exquisite and was repaired in 1992. It is celebrated on December 12 with a procession of the icon around the village and a feast.
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica, with an exquisite chancel screen that was repaired in 1992, located at the small square of Estia. It is celebrated on December 12.
A vaulted basilica with icons dating from the 17th century, situated to the southwest of the village. It is celebrated on November 1.
This vaulted basilica is located near the central square and is celebrated with a feast on October 22. This saint is associated with vine dressers and the opening of new wine barrels in celebrated on that day. Aghia Paraskevi is also celebrated at this church on July 26.
Located close to the elementary school, to the east of the settlement. It has a cupola, vaults and remarkable icons. It is celebrated on June 27 and August 27, the day of Aghios Fanourios.
It is situated near Estia of Pyrgos, opposite Donna’s House, and was built in 1957. It is celebrated on Otober 4.
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica to the north of the village, on the door of which one can see marbles from the chancel screens of Byzantine churches of Mesa Vouno. Celebrated on December 5.
Located to the north of Pyrgos, it was built at a point where there was a shrine dedicated to Aghios Charalambos. Its excellent location provides panoramic views of the courtyard, where there is a reservoir for rainwater. It is a single-aisled, vaulted basilica, with two aisled that were added later. It is celebrated on May 9.
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica on the southwest side of the village, in the courtyard of which there is a trough. The village’s women used to wash their clothes here during times of drought. It is celebrated on November 8.
It is located to the west of Pyrgos, along the main road. It is a simple, vaulted basilica with an aisle for a loft and an icon of the Virgin Mary that is considered to be exquisite. It is celebrated on March 25.
Located to the northwest, opposite Evangelismos, inside an estate that belongs to Patmou monastery. It is celebrated on January 17 and is a vaulted basilica with a loft which was added later.
Located to the west of Pyrgos, it is an elegant church following the vaulted, cross-in-square basilica style It is celebrated on November 30.
It is situated inside an estate that belongs to Zorzos family, and it was rebuilt thanks to their continuous efforts. The chancel table and parts of old marbles and tufas, which decorated a small older church, were revealed. It is celebrated on February 8.
AGHII APOSTOLI (Livades)
A single-aisled, vaulted basilica in the area of Livades, south of the village. It was built in 1872, with a cave edifice for feasts and a basin in its courtyard. You should definitely visit it and enjoy the serene landscape. It is celebrated on June 30.
It is located south of Pyrgos, beneath the road of Aghia Faneromeni. It is a cave chapel, celebrated on September 23.
South, along the new Pyrgos-Emporeio road, you will come upon this chapel dating from 1872, which follows the single-aisled, vaulted basilica style. It is celebrated on August 16.
AGHIOS GEORGIOS (Katefyo)
Built since 1754, this chapel is located on the rocks of Prophitis Ilias, west of Pyrgos. It was originally a single-aisled, vaulted basilica, but extensions and additions took place later. Above the church, there are ruins of many vaulted constructions which are believed to have been monk residences. According to tradition, a princess found shelter once in the chapel, trying to escape from the pirates who were chasing her. It is celebrated on April 23.
AGHIOS NIKOLAOS O KISSIRAS (Konaki)
Located to the east of Pyrgos, it is a glebe to Prophitis Ilias monastery. It is a three-aisled basilica with a cupola and a narthex, and it was built in 1764. The sanctum with the marble episcopal throne, which is an excellent piece of popular art, stands out on the inside. It housed the tomb of Dionysios, Episcope of Thera. It was the seat of the island’s Holy Metropolis (Konaki means “the residence of the Metropolite”). The annomination of Kissiras is due to the fact that the whole surrounding area consists of kissiri (ponce). It is celebrated on December 6.
AGHII APOSTOLI (Martinous)
It is located inside the courtyard of the old School of Pyrgos, at a location called Martinou, which was founded in 1803. Earlier in the past, it was a cave, situated outside the school’s courtyard. It is celebrated on June 29 and 30.
AGHIOS GEORGIOS (Lagadiotissa)
It is a glebe to Prophitis Ilias monastery, located southeast, in a dell. Remarkable icons dating from the 18th century were found in the chapel. During the saint’s celebration day, on April 23, a procession takes place.
It was built in 1660, following a single-aisled, vaulted basilica style, and it also belongs to the glebes of Prophitis Ilias monastery. It is celebrated on November 25.Source: Oi ekklisies tou xoriou mas (The churches of our village), Kallisti Editions.